Grrr

Opened my kiln this morning to find my second dish that I am making for someone complete…and cracked. Right down the middle, and not even all the way through, which is puzzling behavior. I didn’t have time to try to sort it out before work, but I’d like to for future knowledge. At any rate, it’s a loss, and I am out of the glass I need so somehow I will have to find time to go back to the store to get more of the glass, and take the three days again to make it. Grr! The one time I am on a deadline and I have to figure how to get this done asap. I hate running the kiln at night while I sleep but I think that is the only way I can get it done quickly. I’ll make it work, and get it done…but that crack! I can’t figure it out! I didn’t do anything different than with the previous three plates I have made this way. There has to be a variable somewhere I just haven’t figured out yet.

I’m frustrated, but it’s part of the process. I see why folks build in more lead time with projects, time for error. I was pretty much on schedule but this obviously throws it completely off. Things happen, glass is fickle. It will work out.

Last Japan entry later today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>